Alright, who says that tequila and rum need to be the reigning summer booze champs? Not me. At Josh’s request, I’ve brought whiskey back into my cocktail lineup with a refreshing drink that will surprise you with strange flavor combinations, delight you with tastiness and would be perfect to sip at any backyard BBQ. (Recipe inspiration courtesy of Life’s A Strawberry).
6 oz. fresh blackberries
1/4 cup sugar
4 oz. whiskey
3 oz. lemon juice
- Heat blackberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally. When the mixture has turned into a thick syrupy substance, you’re good to go.
- Optional step: strain syrup to separate seeds if you don’t want those floating around in your cocktail.
- Let the syrup cool for about 20 minutes before mixing the rest of the drink.
- Combine everything in a large shaker with ice.
- Pour over ice into a glass and devour feverishly.
I ended up making mine with a peaty, smokey whiskey that Josh had at home, and I have to tell you… I’d highly recommend that flavor pallet. The blend of smokey with the intense tart/citrusy flavor of the lemon juice is SUPER interesting and, if you’re like me, you will find yourself thinking: “Jee… this just tastes… strange. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s so weird I LOVE IT!” Try it out and let me know!